Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Leaning Tower of Malabrigo

Malabrigo, at the best of times, is luscious and knitting it is like putting a hot knife through butter.

At the worst of times, it turns into the Leaning Tower of Malabrigo:

I have been flogging this dead horse for far too long now. It was time to put it out of its misery:

The colour, Pearl, was so varied that I ended up with 2 different coloured fronts on my cardigan. Don't ask me why I kept plodding along - my optimism that maybe the knitting fairies were coming to fix this baby while I slept wore off a long time ago - so it was time to admit my shortcomings and revitalize this project once and for all.

I frogged the entire sweater, and wound it on my yarn swift. I was going to soak the hanks in some Eucalan, and then dry them with weights on, but in the end I wound them into balls on my trusty ball winder, and my hopes are that by the time I am ready to use this wool again, it will have magically transformed itself into straight yarn. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it (more knitting optimism)!

Not quite sure what this wool will become, I can guarantee you it won't involve getting gauge. It's been manipulated, knitted, frogged, wound, and one can only hope its next and final incarnation will be more fulfilling. I keep trolling Ravelry for a pattern and no doubts something will come up, for now I am pleased I have one less UFO to deal with...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...