Saturday, January 22, 2011

Oatmeal Casserole Bread

 
Because it's Saturday....because it's -15C outside...because I am sitting beside a warm fire, drinking a cuppa Earl Grey and enjoying a slice of oatmeal casserole bread.

And because I want you to enjoy the same thing, here it is:

Oatmeal Casserole Bread

1 package active dry yeast
1-3/4 cups boiling water
3/4 cup oats (I use quick-cook oats)
1/4 cup molasses
1-1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water (for yeast)
4 cups all-purpose flour

Pour boiling water over oats.  Stir in molasses, salt and oil.  Cool.

Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water.  Let rise 10 minutes.

Add yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour to oat mixture.  Beat on low speed of mixer for 30 seconds, then high for 3 minutes.

Stir in remaining flour by hand.  Let rise until doubled.  Beat 25 strokes.

Grease a 2 quart casserole and sprinkle with oats.  Place dough in casserole and sprinkle with oats.

Let rise until dough is 1" above rim.

Bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes.


My notes:

I used a 1.6L CorningWare dish - I would have used  a 2-quart dish if I owned one.  No harm done, just remember to grease the top edge of the casserole dish, because your loaf will rise higher.  I was out of active dry yeast, so I used my Fleishmann's Rapid Rise yeast, mixing it with the 1-1/2 cups flour first.  The result was the same.  This is a very sticky, shaggy dough.  You CANNOT knead it, so don't even try.  I use my KitchenAid mixer, using the dough hook for all steps, even the "beat 25 stokes".  This recipe makes a light, yet moist bread.  I guarantee you, it won't be around for long.  I'm working on my third slice, don't tell anyone...

2 comments:

Shepherd's Loft said...

Looks Wonderful. It's cold here, too. The perfect weather for such warming things as bread baking. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Stay warm.

Shim Farm said...

Good morning! I hope your back is on the mend. I think we're all in a deep-freeze in this part of the country. We have a forecast low of -29C for Monday night. That beats the lowest temps we've seen this year by a couple of degrees. Not fun. But sitting by a warm fire, knitting? It helps to make up for it! Thanks for the virtual visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...