Friday, September 23, 2011

The Pine Floor - Part Cinq

So, here's what we learned today:

Sandblasting a pine floor is labour-intensive, back-breaking and, as an added bonus, sandy and dusty.

Sort of like everything we're doing these days, come to think of it.

But we discovered something new.  While sandblasting is messy, and the interior of our house now feels like a Scirocco wind blew through it, it was effective, just slow.  The nozzle we have is a 1"diameter, and it would have taken forever to do the entire room, so we did a small area, and put on our thinking caps.

(In the meantime, I was trying to figure out what I could sandblast, given we had the compressor out and everything set-up.  I came up empty - sad really - because often I come across things and wonder, hmmm, wonder if I could sand-blast that?  Owning a big-ass compressor just so I can sand-blast stuff at my leisure is one of my dreams).

Again, I digress.  Back to the floor:
When we combined the sandblast grit with our 40- and 50-grit sanders, (I got the sissy Fein, Eric got the hefty Porter-Cable 1/2 sheet), we were able to sand the floor without having the sandpaper clog incessantly.  That was our epiphany.  More good news is that the sandblast grit added the abrasion we needed to remove the sticky Varathane residue much quicker.  And even more good news:  the paint on the area where we did our scratch test is even harder now.  This means that hopefully tomorrow, after we go over the floor one more time with the "house" vacuum (as opposed to the shop vac), and neurotically go over everything one final time with a microfibre cloth, Eric can put down the first of three coats of primer.

Obviously, using sandblast grit means we're both wearing full-face masks, as well as our hearing protectors.  It felt funny to have the full-face mask on again.  It's been a few months since I wore it, and I didn't miss it one bit.  At the end of the day, taking off the hearing protectors and mask felt so good.

I'm thrilled with today's events.  I'll be even more thrilled when the first coat of paint is down.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Yeah, progress! It's a good feeling. I'm glad that you were able to get the varathane up. I forgot, what color are you going to paint the floor?

Shim Farm said...

Oh yeah...a good feeling, I second that motion!

We decided on white floors, because the upstairs is a bit dark since the windows are all on the small side. With all that knotty pine it felt like a dungeon.

The floor is now primed (first coat), and it's so nice to have one more room in the house nearly completed.

At this point in the game, Eric's buying trim, which we'll just need to paint and install, plus make the window frame. We still need maybe 2 more coats of primer, plus probably 2 coats of final finish on the floor before calling it done.

I will breathe a sigh of relief when this room is done, you have no clue.

Well, actually, you probably do LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...