Monday, April 8, 2013

Shattered.

Cooper died this morning, with me whispering into his ear what a good dog he was.

To my dearest, dearest boy Cooper:

From the moment I found you as a puppy in a snow bank over 10 years ago, every day with you has been filled with little indescribable joys.  I didn't think it was possible for a dog to make a person want to be a better person, but that is exactly how you made me feel.  You worked your way into our hearts, and added brightness and life to our little home.
No one could have asked for a better dog.  Tolerant, smart, loyal and patient are but a few words used to describe you.  You loved us unconditionally, and your excitement as we walked through the door each and every time was unwavering until the end.   So many people commented that you were an unbelievable dog, and they were spot-on.  A dog like you comes along but once in a lifetime, and you were our lifetime dog.
Thank you Cooper, for being our best friend through thick and thin. 
Thank you Cooper, for opening our hearts.
Thank you Cooper, for helping me through some of the darkest days of my life, and for sticking by my side as I'd cry into my pillow, trying to console me by thumping your tail as hard as you could.  Your concern was not lost on me.
Thank you Cooper, for being there with us, each and every day.
 Thank you Cooper, for your curiosity, your drive and your devotion.
Thank you Cooper.  You were our foreman, par excellence.  We couldn't have done it without you.
Thank you Cooper, for humouring us.  We never laughed at you, but we always laughed with you.
Thank you Cooper, for being dignified.  We meant well with the Muttlucks, we really did.
Thank you Cooper, for being Cooper - always willing and ready to please.
Thank you Cooper, for convincing me to lay on the grass with you and watch the skies.
Thank you Cooper, for loving your girlfriend Tika like you did, and all the hours you spent jumping off her dock.  I know she's waiting for you on the other side, wagging her tail.  May you now both run like the wind - together forever.
Thank you Cooper, for your grace and acceptance of all those cats who came after your arrival. (See the little melted paw-prints besides Coopie's feet?  They were Amelia's).
Thank you Cooper, for always being game, and thanks to our friends for spoiling you.
This is not how I expected things to end, and I don't know what more to say to you all.  To know Cooper was to love Cooper.  He melted hearts, he won over those afraid of dogs, and was an all-around amazing doggy ambassador.  The best of the best.

We were so lucky to have you in our life, and so, so sorry to see you go.

You were such a brave, brave boy, never showing us you were sick.  I am so, so sorry...words fail.

Godspeed, my boy, Godspeed.

May you now run like the wind.

Run like the wind, Cooper.

15 comments:

Taloferia said...

Oh I am so, so very sorry. My heart is broken for you.
This was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful dog. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Shim Farm said...

Thank you, Taloferia, your thoughts are appreciated and help alleviate our pain. We were both absolutely shattered by today's events.

It was completely unexpected, and he was so graceful until the end. He collapsed in the vet's office - I didn't even get the chance to give my name to the receptionist. They worked so hard to revive him though. I had my hands on him the entire time, vacillating between hysteria and shock and disbelief.

The hole they leave when they depart feels like it's the size of the universe.

Shepherd's Loft said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your hurt came through loud and clear in your post but so did your love for your special dog. They have a way of capturing our hearts, don't they?

Shim Farm said...

Oh Linda, it's just so hard to believe he's not around anymore. I know you know the feeling all too well. Eric and I have been crying like babies all day long. He was such a brave, brave dog, never letting on that he was as sick as he was. He was unbelievable, and we're grateful we had as many years with him as we did. It's such a loss, though, such a great loss...

Thanks for your kind words.

Miriam said...

I'm so, so sorry that you have lost Cooper. There is no way to prepare for a loss like that - all we can do is keep our hearts open while they're here, love them to bits, feel every day of joy, and then, like you're doing, be grateful for every day you had together.

Big hugs to you both.

Shim Farm said...

Oh Miriam, we are still crying so hard, finding it unbelievable that we can create so many tears in such a short period of time. Cooper was the best - just one in a million. I can't imagine that he's not with us anymore. I keep thinking this is some sort of sick nightmare, and that I'll wake up from it. It simply hasn't sunk in yet.

I've passed your big hugs on to Eric. Thanks for them. Every little bit helps ease the pain.

L'Americain said...

Ann Eric,
Cooper! No. It can,t be! Im so sorry
to hear about his passing. I know
you are heartbroken.I know the feeling. Anyone who has ever had pets know that they are a part of the family as any person.We are grateful for the time we had with them and the joy they brought to our lives.Hugs to both of you.

Shim Farm said...

Oh Michel, thanks so much for your kind words. You know how much Cooper liked "visitors". So much so, that we needed to spell the word instead of saying it, because he'd rush to the door with one of his stuffies or a slipper at the ready when he heard it. You know he'd greet you at the door like a long lost friend, each and every time. I know you and Sonja know just how we feel. Much love to you both. Ann and Eric.

Baldelaine said...

You were Coopsie to me! You were such a good Friend to Ann...she always gave me news about you...i am crying so much now 'cos Ann is sad and lost without you. I will help her and continue to be a constant companion...
Rest in Peace, Coopsie

Juliana said...

Never forget the good times you had with him. Our constant loving companions. They live on in our hearts.
RIP Cooper ooxx

Unknown said...

Hello Ann and Eric,
Thank you for sharing with us your Tribute to Cooper, and thank you for your trust in us for Cooper's aftercare. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
Catherine and all the Ladies at Eternal Companions

Anonymous said...

Hello Eric and Ann
Sorry to hear about the loss of Cooper, the tribute was very nice and reminded me of all the good times spent at your house sipping Cognac

Miss you guys
Cary

Stephen Andrew said...

I feel your heartbreak and am so sorry for you. Sending love your way.

Robin said...

Ann I am so sorry to hear this. How heartbreaking and sad for you both. Cooper sounded like one in a million.

Hugs, Robin

Anonymous said...

very sad to hear. I am sure it was not easy..we put our border collie down a couple of years ago..the right choice but it felt so wrong. Never easy losing a family member.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...