Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Grandest Voyage


A ship sails and I stand watching

till she fades on the horizon and someone at my side says,

"She is gone!"

Gone where?  Gone from my sight, that is all.

She is just as large now as when I last saw her.

Her diminished size and total loss from my sight

is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment when someone at my side says,

"She is gone,"

there are others who are watching her

coming over their horizon and other voices

take up a glad shout,

"There she comes!"

That is what dying is;

A horizon and just the limit of our sight.

Lift us up, oh Lord, that we may see further.


Bishop Charles Henry Brent

3 comments:

My Little Bungalow said...

What a beautiful sentiment. I take it a loved one has passed, and if that is correct, I am so very sorry for your loss. It is never easy, regardless of age or circumstances. Only time can heal the pain.
Claudia

Shim Farm said...

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for your thoughts. Indeed, my dad passed away, and it's been very hard. I'm just taking things one day at a time right now.

Hope you and Paul are doing well and enjoying your summer.

Ann

Stephen Andrew said...

So so sorry for your loss. wishing you light summer days and lots of comforting carbs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...